Once you decide to sell your home, you need to determine who you will work with to sell it. But just what is a listing agent? A listing agent is a professional sales associate who markets your home for sale. What a listing agent does can make a big difference in the timeline and net proceeds of your home sale.How to choose a listing agent.
There are many ways to choose an agent to work with to sell your home. You might start with the reputation of the company or a referral from someone you know. Or you can find someone in your area by going to Shorewest.com. There you can find details of their current listings, how long they’ve been in real estate, any certifications they have and more. Do not move forward with the first agent you talk to. Choose a few to interview and have some questions ready to see if the agent aligns with you.
Here are some questions you could ask:
- How many homes have you sold in this area, and how long did it take?
- In what price range do you sell most of your homes?
- Do you have advice for me about the condition of my home, and what could be improved to help sell it?
- What would a typical marketing plan look like from you?
- Can you recommend contractors, plumbers, moving companies, etc.?
- How can I reach you? How available are you?
How listing agents help you price your home.
“How much is my home worth?” is a hard question to answer. Your listing agent will take some factors into play while advising you. Comparables or “comps” are a big aspect for pricing a home. For example, your neighbor’s home down the street might sell for a higher price as they just finished their basement and have hardwood flooring throughout their home. Where your home is located, what school district, how close it is to shopping and restaurants, all of these things will help narrow down the price. It is a fine line to walk to make sure that you do not price it too high or too low. If you are way overpriced, you may get a lot of lowball offers or very few offers and if it is too low, you could lose out on money. This is where your listing agent is worth their weight in gold. With their experience and industry knowledge, they will help advise you to the perfect price.How listing agents help you sell your home.
After you determine a selling price, your Shorewest, REALTOR® should present a comprehensive marketing plan detailing how they will successfully market your property. Here are some steps you should see in the plan:
- Recommendations for home improvements or home staging. These will cost you some money, but they will give you a larger ROI (return upon investment) when your home sells.
- Taking exterior photos or hiring a photographer to highlight your home in its best light.
- Add your home to the MLS (Multiple Listing Service) where home buyers and agents can view your property and decide if they would like to reach out to schedule a showing.
- Advertising and holding open houses.
- Coordinating showings with prospective buyers that they have reached out to.
How your listing agent will negotiate with buyers.
All of the hard work has been put in with advertising, staging, cleaning and listing your home which paid off with an offer! Your listing agent will present it to you and advise you on your next step whether it be presenting a counter-offer or taking it off of the table. Listen to their advice even if you receive a lowball offer. Compromises can be made to sweeten the deal for you and the buyer, saving you time and money by having to start the process over with another offer!
Your Shorewest, REALTOR® will work to show you that they are the best fit for selling your home and will work just as hard to make sure that your home is priced well, will show well, and will fetch the best price for you. #ShorewestRealtors #ListingAgent #SellingYourHome